There he is

He's not who you envisioned. He doesn't look like the high school jock, or the quarterback's best friend. He wasn't the physics geek either. He floated, kind of like you. Friendly with everyone but knew the boundaries of socializing at the wrong lunch tables.

He's more conservative, not in his religion or his values, but in his love. He's reserved, respectful, well-mannered, and best of all, he makes you smile on your worst days. You can see in his eyes, when you open the front door, how much he loves you. He's the grounding presence you wondered even existed. 

You had started to loose hope that the day would come where all the heartbreaks of the past made sense. But it hadn't stopped you from trying to be happy with your life. You made the most of your life. You did the things you loved, spent time with the people that reciprocated the immense amount of love you had to share. You didn't know anything other than this life of peace, on your own. You had no idea that this peace could be achieved with someone else. You thought you'd had to make so many sacrifices, loose part of your independence in order to properly fall in love. You thought everyone else was destined for the fairytale, and you'd always be the on-looker. Nothing was different about that day, and that's why you met him.

He chose you. You chose him. Everyday. No strings. No shame. No judgment. He listened when you were scared. He held you in his arms. He didn't promise to never hurt me; he showed me he would never leave. The way I caught his eye across the room. You're the only one. I know it. He knows it. 

There he is. The man I thought only lived in my dreams. Standing in front of me. Ready to spend the rest of his life with me. Ready to argue with me. Ready to disagree with me. Ready to love me.. 


Comments